Do you feel confused sometimes about which diet will work the best for you? There are endless options like no carbs, occasional fasting, eliminating sugar, Paleo and the list goes on. But there is a great diet that you can follow that requires no research at all. It’s called intuitive eating. It was developed by Evelyn Tribole, MS, RD, and Elsye Resch, MS, RD, FADA. Together they created a 10 step plan that is easy for anyone to follow, and it is customized for the most important person of all...you! So, consider each of these steps and see how they might be able to get you a little bit healthier.
1. Just Say No To Diets - Ignore all the fads that come and go, often leaving you in the same place from where you came.
2. Honor Your Hunger – Try to consume enough to not leave you famished later, and desperately wanting to eat a lot, sparking feelings of deprivation.
3. All Food is OK – Do not put foods into good and bad categories. All foods, even treats, have their place. If you eliminate something, it may become all you think about.
4. Banish Negativity – Be a bit more relaxed and let go of the negative thoughts while eating, creating feelings of guilt.
5. Pay Attention to Fullness – Slow down while you eat and give yourself a moment to register whether you are just eating because there is still something on your plate. Give your body time to process whether it has had enough.
6. Discover Satisfaction – Take in the experience of enjoying your meal. Savor the environment you are in, the wonderful smells, and the array of colors on your plate.
7. Separate Emotions and Eating – Look to ways to increase your enjoyment without turning to food. What activities bring you joy that don’t involve food?
8. Respect your Body – We are not all one body type. Let go of the ideal body type you may see in your mind’s eye. Appreciate what your body can do, not how it compares to others. Respect your size!
9. Exercise – Don’t think of it as a calorie burning mission, but a way to improve your endurance, strength and mental health.
10. Honor Your Health – Be thoughtful about your choices and respect your body, so that you will be inspired to treat it well.
So, give these suggestions some consideration as you go through your day. You may find you will slowly develop a healthier relationship with food, and a healthy appreciation for all the amazing things your body can do.
Curious about how a Health Coach and a personalized strategy can achieve your wellness goals? Call/Text Christel to reserve your consultation 617-932-9923
My goal is to be your Age Management Retreat. Ladies, I speak your Age! I'm 60 (!) and have encountered, or will soon, the aging skin issues we 'd like to avoid.