In our never-ending pursuit of the smoothest, tautest, brightest and clearest skin, there’s always room for a little niacinamide. It’s one of those much-buzzed-about super ingredients (like vitamin C, hyaluronic acid and salicylic acid) that transforms your skincare regimen into a proactive defense against signs of aging. Think of it like the age-old adage: if the best defense is a good offense, niacinamide is your power forward.
Niacinamide is a form of Vitamin B3. When applied topically, it can produce noticeable results that range from more resilient skin to a reduction in dark spots, as well as tempered oil production. Read on to learn the benefits of niacinamide, how to use it most effectively, and the best niacinamide products for experiencing these anti-aging perks.
The Benefits of Using Niacinamide1. Boosts barrier functions: Niacinamide improves skin’s core barrier function, which is to lock moisture inside, according to a study published in 2005. This effect also helps to prevent outside irritants from wreaking havoc on your skin.
2. Decreases the appearance of pores: Niacinamide can make the pores appear smaller, thus improving the surface texture and clarity of the skin.
3. Increases skin resilience: Niacinamide makes skin more buoyant and durable by boosting keratin production, which improves your skin’s firmness and ability to heal.
4. Controls oil production: Niacinamide can help regulate overproductive sebum glands and tone one’s overall complexion.
5. Reduces inflammation: Niacinamide has been proven to calm extreme cases of inflammation, as with severe acne or eczema.
6. Brighten complexion: Niacinamide can help reduce dark spots. High concentrations of niacinamide can also reduce stubborn sunspots and hyperpigmentation. (You’ll typically find these results in formulas that include over 5 percent of the ingredient.)
7. Universal application: Niacinamide works on all skin types. It also works alongside almost all other active skincare ingredients, too (even the volatile vitamin C), making it an easy addition to your regimen.
My goal is to be your Age Management Retreat. Ladies, I speak your Age! I'm 60 (!) and have encountered, or will soon, the aging skin issues we 'd like to avoid.